Skip to main content

Rise to Revolt Update

I have chosen to keep from releasing R2R on any other platform other than Kobo.

Why?

Because when it comes down to it, I learned so much from writing it, and feel that I developed enough as a writer from writing it, that I do not want to put it on the market in its current state.

It's a good story, and I love the universe...but I am very aware of the flaws that are present in it. It still is something I am proud of because I finished it, and because I feel that the universe building in it is a strong point. I read somewhere that only about one in four people who say they intend to write a novel, actually follow through and finish something.

 I have no idea how reliable a statistic that is, but anyway you look at it, it is an accomplishment to actually finish writing a book.

Too many aspiring authors are always talking about the great thing that they are going to write, but never actually get around to doing it...the difficulty of actually seeing a work through to completion making it much easier to just perennially talk about it and find excuses as to why it's never complete.

Alternatively, too many aspiring authors finally finish their book..and then proceed to annoy everybody by spamming friends, family, and random internet forum members with solicitations to buy their novel.

A work that frequently, as a first book, isn't worth purchasing and their constant solicitations do nothing more than turn people off and tar the author as an annoying individual whose work isn't ever going to be worth purchasing. Google "Empress Theresa" some time to see a great example of this toxic author behavior.

While I think that Rise to Revolt is a decent story and the universe building is very strong, its far from perfect and I do not feel justified in asking people to pay money to read the first book from an unknown author.

I am leaving it up on Kobo for now, set at 99 cents. If, for whatever reason, you want to actually purchase it, feel free to head over there and get it from them. Otherwise, just click on this link to download a free copy of it from my Dropbox account. It's in ePub format so it will work on every eReader other than the Kindle itself. I recommend downloading it to your computer and using a browser plugin like Simple EPUB Reader to read it in the browser window.

I am very excited to write its sequel, applying everything that I have learned so far, and if it turns out as good as I am hoping, I will go ahead and put it on Amazon for the world to see. Otherwise, I will chalk it up to more learning and will write the next book. And so on and so forth. It is said that it takes a million words of garbage before the average writer reaches the point where he can write something worth selling. I really hope to beat that average positively, but I am prepared to be on the wrong side of it if needed.

In the mean time, please feel free to try out the book for free, and get a taste of the universe and story, no risk or obligation.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soviet Mainframe Computers

Ural-1 Control Unit The world of Soviet tech is an interesting one, they frequently were forced to resort to workarounds as they attempted to compensate for their lagging technological development when compared to the West. This does not detract from their very real accomplishments in areas such as the space race, where they led the West for years before finally irrevocably falling behind after the untimely death of their leading designer, Sergei Korolev in 1966. I recently purchased an entire book on eBay called The Technological Level of Soviet Industry, (archived 1978 review  here , there is no direct link to buy it as even Amazon doesn't seem to have it). This isn't a full book, rather it is a collection of different author's papers all bound together. I purchased the book specifically to get Chapter 8, Computer technology  which is an extremely good resource on the state of Soviet computing in the late 70s. At the time of publication in 1977, personal computers s

Lazy Inventory 0.4 Released

LAZY INVENTORY RELEASE 0.4 OVERVIEW I am proud to announce the 0.4 release of Lazy Inventory, the amazing inventory management system that nobody currently uses ;) It can be downloaded via clicking this link . In the last few months I have made quite a bit of progress on adding new features and debugging existing ones, as well as moving to a numbered release system for easier tracking. We are a long ways away from even a 1.0 release, but Lazy Inventory 0.4 now is fully capable of not only managing inventory for a small business, but also picking orders. I would say it's an even bigger jump from trying to use Google Sheets or Excel than the retroactively renamed version 0.1 was. My very basic features and bug tracking spreadsheet is shown at the right, its pretty basic but it gets the job done and keeps me on track. Currently there are forty-four features on my to-do list, a version 1.0 release will require somewhere around  thirty-five of them to be completed and polishe

Python 3.8 and Pygame 2.0

One of my goals for the year has been to learn Python. I got started on it earlier this year, but a move to a different state got me out of my routine of studying it every day, so its been a couple months since I last looked at it. Now that I am all settled in here I decided to pick up where I left off, but change things up a bit.  I had been working my way through Christian Thompson's excellent series on creating a Space Invaders clone in Python and had successfully gotten a little spaceship moving around, and a couple enemies on screen that could be fired at, and register a hit. However this tutorial uses Python Turtle  and I decided that I wanted to learn with Pygame , since that is quite a bit more capable than Turtle and learning it would enable me to theoretically build games down the road. The chances of that happening are quite remote, as I am primarily interested in learning Python as a tool for data analysis to augment my FileMaker development skills, but I think it