Skip to main content

On Writing, Word Counts, and Motivation

I am not an author. What I am is an aspiring author, someone who has hopes of having a career as an author, where people pay me money in exchange for my stories. Right now, what I have is a completed novel that has so far earned me .45 cents and some outlines of stories in various stages of completion.

And you know what? That is completely fine, Rome was neither built nor burned in a day. What I am trying to chart on this blog is the path that I follow on my way to whatever success I eventually wind up with, and to be an encouragement to anyone else out here who is trying to get off the ground, same as I am.

Currently, I am an S List novelist, based on Larry Correia's Offical Alphabetical List of Author Success, which he defined as:

S List – The Struggling
Authors who’ve written something, but haven’t had any luck selling it yet.
Authors with the most incredibly frustrating job in the universe.
The Future of Writing.

That's actually very encouraging because it gives me a target and a measure of what levels of success look like. And I always like a target to aim for. Right now my aim is to crawl up the list to M Level, hopefully skipping a few steps on the way.


M List –  I AM THE KING OF THE WORLD!  =$$
Authors who’ve published a book or something.
Authors who sit in front of their computer, compulsively hitting Refresh over and over to see their Amazon ranking like one of those perpetual motion bird toys. Peck. Peck. Peck.
Authors who collect royalties sufficient to eat out once in a while at a restaurant. Okay, maybe Applebees, but they can’t get appetizers.
Author on the panel who can’t help but flog their books to the trapped audience with every comment.

 I do love me some Applebees. Affordable AND tasty...and appetizers are half off after nine so maybe I could afford those too once I reach M level.

Anyhow, what I want to talk about briefly today is motivation, writing, and word counts. It's hard to keep motivated sometimes when you are trying and trying to learn the craft of writing, but have little to show for it in the way of success (yet!). So here are a few things that I have picked up that at least work for me.

First of all, know what you are writing. I am mostly an outliner, although I am experimenting with writing to a far more tentative outline on my current project than I did on Rise to Revolt. It keeps me on course and helps avoid writer's block...or at least avoid it from occurring more often.

Second of all, listen to music while writing. My brain works best when I have intense music, like trailer style music from Audiomachine playing. I can't listen to anything with words or it breaks my concentration.

Third of all, have goals set for daily word counts. Maybe your goal is five hundred words a day, maybe its one hundred words a day. Whatever it is, have a goal. And while you have a goal, allow yourself one or two days off a week to relax. I personally can hit around 2500-3000 words a day when I am in full flow, but it can take me quite some time to get the writing project to the point where I can sink into it and just write like that regularly.

Right now I am averaging only a few hundred words a day on my newest work (trying my hand at urban fantasy) but the important thing to do is to get progress of some sort done every day. Or failing that, get something done more days than not. Every bit helps.

Fourthly, read other aspiring and successful writers' blogs. I love going to the Mad Genius Club to get some motivation and read up on some new thing to keep in mind or try in my writing. I love the nuts and bolts threads they do on writing, covers, marketing, etc. Whatever it takes to keep you in that chair writing and working.

More than anything else, just keep working. I got noticeably better thanks to finally buckling down and finishing Rise to Revolt and I know that with each new thing I write, that trend will continue.

Now back to work on my new urban fantasy book, where the late 70s, the fae, the Altair 8800, and North Korea all come together. Hopefully ;) I'll be posting excerpts from it soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soviet Mainframe Computers

Ural-1 Control Unit The world of Soviet tech is an interesting one, they frequently were forced to resort to workarounds as they attempted to compensate for their lagging technological development when compared to the West. This does not detract from their very real accomplishments in areas such as the space race, where they led the West for years before finally irrevocably falling behind after the untimely death of their leading designer, Sergei Korolev in 1966. I recently purchased an entire book on eBay called The Technological Level of Soviet Industry, (archived 1978 review  here , there is no direct link to buy it as even Amazon doesn't seem to have it). This isn't a full book, rather it is a collection of different author's papers all bound together. I purchased the book specifically to get Chapter 8, Computer technology  which is an extremely good resource on the state of Soviet computing in the late 70s. At the time of publication in 1977, personal computers s

Lazy Inventory 0.4 Released

LAZY INVENTORY RELEASE 0.4 OVERVIEW I am proud to announce the 0.4 release of Lazy Inventory, the amazing inventory management system that nobody currently uses ;) It can be downloaded via clicking this link . In the last few months I have made quite a bit of progress on adding new features and debugging existing ones, as well as moving to a numbered release system for easier tracking. We are a long ways away from even a 1.0 release, but Lazy Inventory 0.4 now is fully capable of not only managing inventory for a small business, but also picking orders. I would say it's an even bigger jump from trying to use Google Sheets or Excel than the retroactively renamed version 0.1 was. My very basic features and bug tracking spreadsheet is shown at the right, its pretty basic but it gets the job done and keeps me on track. Currently there are forty-four features on my to-do list, a version 1.0 release will require somewhere around  thirty-five of them to be completed and polishe

Python 3.8 and Pygame 2.0

One of my goals for the year has been to learn Python. I got started on it earlier this year, but a move to a different state got me out of my routine of studying it every day, so its been a couple months since I last looked at it. Now that I am all settled in here I decided to pick up where I left off, but change things up a bit.  I had been working my way through Christian Thompson's excellent series on creating a Space Invaders clone in Python and had successfully gotten a little spaceship moving around, and a couple enemies on screen that could be fired at, and register a hit. However this tutorial uses Python Turtle  and I decided that I wanted to learn with Pygame , since that is quite a bit more capable than Turtle and learning it would enable me to theoretically build games down the road. The chances of that happening are quite remote, as I am primarily interested in learning Python as a tool for data analysis to augment my FileMaker development skills, but I think it