Skip to main content

Kobo Soft Launch of Rise to Revolt

A basic canard of the writing craft (at least according to the indie author websites that I have been reading for years) is that you can only polish a turd for so long. A book can only be edited for so long before it becomes a waste of the time and energy that could be better spent writing the next book.

Rise to Revolt is my first completed book, I have poured years of on-again, off again effort into building the universe and sketching out the narrative that I intend to tell. As a first book, it is going to be the weakest book that I produce, simply by virtue of being the first book.

Every author must start somewhere, and I strongly feel that Rise to Revolt is the very best work that I am capable of producing right now, and that it is a work that is worth reading. Ultimately however, you as the reader must be the judge of that, and I would be lying if I didn't admit to a certain amount of nervousness at the prospect.

Rise to Revolt is the first in a trilogy of books that is a sci-fi twist on the American Revolution.  It will be followed by Rise to Liberty this winter, and a further unnamed book sometime next year.

Below I have reproduced the note to the reader that I wrote for the book:
Hi! Thanks for buying my very first published book, I appreciate your giving me the chance to hopefully entertain you for a few hours and show off a bit of the world that I have spent the last few years creating.
As mentioned, this is my first published book as a writer. I chose to self-publish and avoid the usually years long process of submitting, resubmitting, and re-re-resubmitting manuscripts to various publishes, taking up valuable time that could otherwise be put to good use writing and focusing on learning my craft as an writer and creator.
My hope is that this book entertains you and engages your imagination. I have done my best to edit and polish this book in order to make this book the very best that it can be, but I am fully aware that no book is perfect and that one of the ways any writer, let alone a new writer, grows is by constructive criticism.
Should you notice a typo, or a grammatical error, or have suggestion on how to improve the story, I am very willing to hear what comments you have to make. Just drop me an email at jbergstromwrites@gmail.com.
I intend to keep a record of every email with constructive criticism in it that I receive. Any changes that I make based on that feedback will be communicated to you through a mass email message, at which point you can go to your chosen platform for e-reading and update your book to the latest version.
One of the greatest benefits of the doors that have opened to indie publishers through the medium of Amazon, Kobo, etc, is the ease of updating a book and fixing errors. I want to take full advantage of this and will do my very best to fix in a timely manner any grammatical or syntax error brought to my attention.
Rise to Revolt will be followed by its sequel, Rise to Liberty, sometime in Winter 2017.
Once again, thanks for purchasing Rise to Revolt and I hope you enjoy the book as much as I enjoyed writing it.
I have chosen to start by releasing Rise to Revolt onto Kobo first, in a soft launch. I want to get some feedback from people outside of my friends and family before I release it on other platforms.

Thanks for reading!

Jonathan 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soviet Mainframe Computers

Ural-1 Control Unit The world of Soviet tech is an interesting one, they frequently were forced to resort to workarounds as they attempted to compensate for their lagging technological development when compared to the West. This does not detract from their very real accomplishments in areas such as the space race, where they led the West for years before finally irrevocably falling behind after the untimely death of their leading designer, Sergei Korolev in 1966. I recently purchased an entire book on eBay called The Technological Level of Soviet Industry, (archived 1978 review  here , there is no direct link to buy it as even Amazon doesn't seem to have it). This isn't a full book, rather it is a collection of different author's papers all bound together. I purchased the book specifically to get Chapter 8, Computer technology  which is an extremely good resource on the state of Soviet computing in the late 70s. At the time of publication in 1977, personal computers s

Lazy Inventory 0.4 Released

LAZY INVENTORY RELEASE 0.4 OVERVIEW I am proud to announce the 0.4 release of Lazy Inventory, the amazing inventory management system that nobody currently uses ;) It can be downloaded via clicking this link . In the last few months I have made quite a bit of progress on adding new features and debugging existing ones, as well as moving to a numbered release system for easier tracking. We are a long ways away from even a 1.0 release, but Lazy Inventory 0.4 now is fully capable of not only managing inventory for a small business, but also picking orders. I would say it's an even bigger jump from trying to use Google Sheets or Excel than the retroactively renamed version 0.1 was. My very basic features and bug tracking spreadsheet is shown at the right, its pretty basic but it gets the job done and keeps me on track. Currently there are forty-four features on my to-do list, a version 1.0 release will require somewhere around  thirty-five of them to be completed and polishe

Python 3.8 and Pygame 2.0

One of my goals for the year has been to learn Python. I got started on it earlier this year, but a move to a different state got me out of my routine of studying it every day, so its been a couple months since I last looked at it. Now that I am all settled in here I decided to pick up where I left off, but change things up a bit.  I had been working my way through Christian Thompson's excellent series on creating a Space Invaders clone in Python and had successfully gotten a little spaceship moving around, and a couple enemies on screen that could be fired at, and register a hit. However this tutorial uses Python Turtle  and I decided that I wanted to learn with Pygame , since that is quite a bit more capable than Turtle and learning it would enable me to theoretically build games down the road. The chances of that happening are quite remote, as I am primarily interested in learning Python as a tool for data analysis to augment my FileMaker development skills, but I think it